13 November 2007

Everybody neat and pretty? Then on with the show!

Who remembers this little beauty:

This has been the face on the bath and facial soaps, as well as on the shampoo and condition inside of Walt Disney World since I can remember. The style of the packaging was just classic Disney to me, but it was the quote on the back of all of these toiletries, “Everybody neat and pretty? Then on with the show!,” that is the piece that I have always remembered, it seemed to be the perfect jolt to start a day of Walt Disney World adventures. I used to use this line in college when a group of us were going out for the evening, I have used it on my preschool class on occasion, and I still use it for myself on a regular basis when heading out for the day. It is just perky enough to be a pick-me-up when the day looks daunting, but not so overly cute that you want to strangle something, which is a feat in and of itself considering these are the immortal words of Mickey Mouse from 1955 and the Mickey Mouse Club television show.

Imagine my shock when I checked-in to Port Orleans: French Quarter for Epcot’s 25th only to find that my beloved bath items have been replaced by a more modern counterpart. I am not saying that I dislike the new versions, but the clear cellophane showcasing the Mickey profile on the back of the soap just doesn’t have the same umph that the older version had with the quote.

Take all these small, all be it important, emotions I have for my beloved soap and then imagine arriving at the Disneyland Hotel only one month later and finding my long lost love, the original black-wrapped, complete with Mickey Mouse Club quote, soap and other sundries awaiting my arrival. I figure it is only the fact that the Disneyland Resort had not depleted its stock of the older toiletries that allowed them to be there during my stay, but, none-the-less, I was thrilled and saved every last one I received. This, by the way, did not endear my new wife to me as I already have a collection of these soaps large enough to choke a horse, or maybe the entire field of the Kentucky Derby. However, I explained that they do wonders in dresser drawers and closets, not to mention when guests come to visit, and besides, it is a free Disney souvenir to take home with you.

1 comment:

theDisnerd said...

I remember these! Wow, it's crazy how much things change.